Kate and Andy Spade’s apartment gets a ton of play in publications, and for good reason! They are experts at mixing color, pattern, and time periods in an elegant way.
1. Sabrina Table Lamp; Z Gallerie, $130
For a bit of sparkle.
2. Puzzled Triceratops; Amazon, $5
For me, one of the hallmarks of Kate Spade’s style is her nod to the playful. Her living room is fairly traditional, but there are playful moments, like an arrangement of dinosaurs.
3. Black and White Spotted Pillow Cover; Furbish Studio, $50
Adding a graphic print to traditional decor keeps the look from being staid.
4. Sofia Sofa; Ballard Designs, $1700
These Louis style sofas turn up on Craigslist from time to time too! Consider painting the frame black.
5. Stripe Linen; Decorator’s Best, $50
A good rule of thumb when picking upholstery fabric for a feminine furniture style like this sofa is to go masculine. Menswear-inspired fabrics and colors counteract the frou-frouness!
6. Truman Table Lamp in Sunflower; $145
I love these lamps for a sofa console.
7. Blue Junior Pillow; Jonathan Adler, $98
I’m from the Midwest (and was not in a sorority), so I never knew monograms were such a thing. I’m starting to get the fuss now!
8. Pale Powder Paint; Farrow & Ball
I’ve recently been turned on to Farrow & Ball colors. If you’re looking for an elegant shade, their selection is perfect. If I were to repaint my living room, this would be the color.
9. Lacquer Accent Table; Overstock, $244
Just a cute pedestal table!
10. “Rings” Print; Minted, $215 for 30”x40”
This room is a great illustration of how to use art as a starting place for a room’s colors, but not the definitive palette. Nuance is good.
11. Marie Arm Chair; Home Decorators, $380
Painted an off white, these would be great!
12. Driftwood Stripe; Decorators Best, $71/yard
Wide stripes are fabulous on side chairs.
13. Brinkley Pillow; Crate and Barrel, $20
A simple solid pillow.
14. Silk Pillow Cover in Poinsettia; West Elm, $10
For some extra sheen and color on the sofa.